Thursday 15 September 2011

Unexpected flight



Apart from the nasty business of having to attend a funeral, the blink-and-you’ll-miss-it trip to Blighty wasn’t all bad. Leeching wi-fi at sisters’ houses, watching Sky telly and finding it’s not all shite, beautiful blue skies and warm sun (sun! Real sun!), and a relaxed atmosphere. Bloody marvellous. In fact, this was one time I actually didn’t want to go home just yet.

Unexpected breaks and flights are always… odd. You buy a flight and before you know it, you’re on a different continent. It doesn’t really sink in until you get picked up from the airport and the cars and trees are whizzing by. That’s when you realise what you’ve done; because you’ve done so many long-haul flights you get used to not paying attention to the whole rigmarole of going abroad so that you don’t get annoyed at how long it takes to actually get anywhere. Good for your Asia Miles balance, not so good for your (already) tenuous grasp on time zones. Still, the flight out of Hong Kong (with Cathay) was easy and everything went smoothly. I even had an empty seat right next to me, so I could use my laptop without elbowing anyone else back in chicken-freight class. Tell you what - I can’t wait to rack up more miles so I can one day -- *cue light shining down through clouds and orchestral hallelujah music* -- fly something above Economy. Now that would be nice.

So it’s a flight to London Sunday, land same day, funerals and relatives and problems and fun and what-not, then a flight Thursday to arrive home Friday to go to work Saturday. Like I said: blink-and-you’ll-miss-it. At least this time I managed to keep my phone on ‘aeroplane’ mode and use wi-fi the whole time, so I shouldn’t incur squillions of HK dollars of roaming charges this time. I’ve learnt my lesson, thank you. Also managed to get to the airport for my return flight about an hour too early - again - so I have time to type all this shite before I board.

It’s been so nice to walk around and be outside without it being humid. I even woke up every morning without either (1) sweating my arse off, or (2) dry as Boris Karloff’s Mummy because of the air-con. A very nice change indeed. Very pleased about that. I did have two different cats sleeping on me, but that's just par for the course these days.


That’s about it. Tired now - and need to find food. It’s going to be interesting. See you on the other side.

Soopytwist.

No comments: