Thursday 3 May 2012

Writing and stuff


For those of you just joining us, I write quite a bit. Right now, I’ve got five books of a space opera / sci-fi saga written, one of which is completely sorted and in the hands of a few agents, in the hopes that someone will want to sell it to publishers for me. I’ve also got another sci-fi book going on, but that’s nothing at all to do with spaceships and planets and new languages and cultures and dead people and bad guys and such. Well alright, it has one bad guy, obviously. Otherwise there wouldn’t be a book. But when that stalls and I just can’t get anything done on it, it’s fan fiction I play with. Right now I’m in the middle of a ‘Supernatural’ and ‘Sherlock’ crossover. It’s actually going pretty well, although I’m not too impressed with chapters five or six - they need overhauling. I’ve already done a ‘Supernatural’, ‘Doctor Who’ and ‘Torchwood’ threesome (oh no, people, no! I don’t do slash!), and a ‘Sherlock’ and ‘Doctor Who’ crossover, so this seemed like a proper giggle.

Aside from this, and taking into account that I can’t seem to make an agent want my stuff so far, I’ve just started a course with The Writers Bureau. Hopefully, this will eventually get me work as a freelance article writer. From there, apart from giving up my day job in time, it might help me get an agent. That’s the plan, anyway.

It’s kind of making me rethink everything I expected of my life. I always knew I’d never have a ‘normal’ job - routines and habits are really hard to keep. I can’t even be arsed to keep smoking. But a freelance writer? Finding jobs and submitting stuff and keeping myself in jobs that way? Risky, obviously. It’s not guaranteed work and it’s not guaranteed money. But hey, if I can sell a few books too, maybe it’d be ok. And to be a freelance person, you have to pretty much go out and see stuff - coffee shops don’t cut it. Trips across the harbour even (gasp!), concerts, films, restaurants - activity type stuff. Which means I’ll have to leave the house, but then again, it’s going out to do all the things I really want to do anyway. So it’s all good.

Apart from writing, I’ve also had a stonking good time with a ‘Supernatural’ rewatch - starting with the pilot. At time of writing, I’m up to 2x10 (Croatoan). Bloody good fun all round. It was season seven that reminded me how good the series could be, after season six was distinctly lacking. Anyway, the blow-by-blow account of the rewatch is here.


What else? Or yes. I’ve decided that Life never stops long enough for me to make the changes I want, so I’m giving Life two fingers and doing what I want anyway - i.e., joining a proper gym and getting back into some martial arts. Wing Chun, to be exact. I cannot wait - and I don’t say that about a lot of things that don’t include Christian Bale or Jeremy Renner. I have a kind of induction to get through and then it’s boot camp/pilates/Wing Chun time. In a word: HUUURRGH.

That’s pretty much it. It looks like I’m back to blogging after all. I’ve been having so much fun on tumblr it’s unreal, but sometimes you want a proper bit of text, rather than sixteen million snippets and half-sentences and amusing dancing gifs.

So there we have it. Soopytwist.

Tags:

~ ~ ~

No comments: