Friday 26 January 2018

Episode adjacent Wayward Sisters


Warning! Danger, Will Robinson!
Here be SPOILERS for Supernatural series 13 episode 10!


We finally got our back door launcher for the Supernatural spin-off Wayward Sisters. Was it all that we hoped? Hmm.

First off, the recap music was I believe the first time we’ve had a female singer open a show; I Am The Fire by Halestorm. Claire walks in and despatches monsters with relative ease and saves a young girl, returning her to her mother. She does all this alone, and for a second I was thinking, can anyone be that good? And then it hit me; if Sam or Dean had done this alone, I wouldn’t even have blinked. Part of that is on me, I know - I fell into the same trap as many other people in going the way society wants you to go, in believing that no woman could pull off what Sam and Dean pull off every week. As soon as I realised that, I was ok with Claire killing anything with skill and a little style. First hurdle for me down; I was on board with the characters hunting and saving and killing and cracking jokes like our series regulars.

The dynamic of the women working together was a good one for once; they weren’t trying to out-do each other, or in fact do anything other than look out for each other. This is becoming more of a thing in media these days, but it’s still new to see and I can’t say it’s a bad thing. The episode itself was a solid idea well-executed; without shunting them into the background completely this gave Sam and Dean an opportunity to be rescued and work it all out later. The only thing I was disappointed in was the fact that this Bad Place was underused. But seeing as they now have seemingly unlimited parallel universes (sorry, 11x04 Scully) to play with, this may not be the last time we see the Bad Place. There also appears to be a process in the Bad Place for a whole host of beings performing the role of guardians or servants for anything bigger than them, hence Sam and Dean being served up to a gigantic thing by a hooded figure. The first time we saw this hooded figure I was convinced there was a young woman under the cowl - the way she moved made me certain. Once we get to the end and find that we lose our universe version of a character, we find there’s the Bad Place version of them - and they’re now in our universe. This stunt has been pulled by countless shows, sci-fi or not, over the last 90 years, but it’s how you do it that matters.

Hopefully this show will be picked up - it had the second highest ratings of the show this season, and the fan fallout has been supremely positive. Everyone seems to be either on board with this or willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and give it a go. This bodes well; the last back door pilot for a spin-off we had was just the most horrendous piece of shit I’ve ever been forced to sit through and I was so monumentally relieved when the people who pick up series for CW passed on it. So. Very. Relieved.

Where does this leave us? Waiting and hoping that the CW folks pick this up and make a series out of it. From there we can hope that Claire sorts her ‘tude out so that I don’t huff at her twice an episode, and that we get Jodi and Donna in every scene. I’m also a big fan of Alex, and while Patience seems to be the odd one out at the moment, I look forward to her doing big things.

Who knows when they’ll actually release any info about this, or announce if it’s been picked up, but I’ll be waiting to see. You can never have too much Jodi Mills or Donna Hanscum. This episode was a victory, and hopefully a turning point in CW TV.

And you know, I thought I'd done a competent job of summing up my feelings here, but in fact SweetOnDean continues to blow every other blogger out of the water with her previews and commentary. Her preview of this episode is comprehensive and entertaining - and it's got shedloads of good links to promo material etc. Give it a look.

Peach and lube, everyone. Peach and lube.

No comments: