Tuesday 24 April 2018

Film Review: Rampage (2018)


Ah, films made from video games. 50/50 on this one; it looked like it was going to be Syfy-original-movie-awful, and by that I mean so shit it’s good. So what did it turn out to be?

Rampage 2018 - Dwayne Johnson, George
Full disclosure: I like Dwayne Johnson as an actor. He’s charming, and suave, he’s self-deprecating, and just genuinely funny. Sometimes the chemistry between him and the co-star doesn’t work for me (Central Intelligence), and sometimes it’s spot-on (Doom - a very much-maligned and misunderstood bit of gory fun), but most of the time we get his bordering-on-cheesy grin in such hits as Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, The Rundown (one of my favourite movies), and loads more I’m probably forgetting right now.

What works for me is the lack of malice or spite in the characters he plays - we don’t need a constant strain of edgy, bad guy personas. Sometimes we just want someone to be straight with us, to give the movie all they've got but not forget what kind of movie it is, and most of all, not be above taking the piss out of themselves when it adds to the fun of the moment. That’s what Dwayne Johnson is to me in films, and that’s why I like to go see them.

That said, giant gorillas and wolves only helped. We had come great cardboard characters and some great proper characters - and the sudden appearance of Jeffrey Dean Morgan certainly helped. A trope-subverter (you’ll see what I mean), he added a lot of panache and fun to the proceedings.

Note to Hollywood: one day I want a movie with Dwayne Johnson and Jeffrey Dean Morgan taking on Helen Mirren and Gina Carano in some kind of Smoking’ Aces-type comedy. Just sayin’.

Anyway, I digress: the film was at times funny, fun, and touching. It was also a bit ropey in places, however at least they didn’t feel the need to over-explain everything the way cheaper productions do.

Verdict: 6/10; not a great 2 hours, but not the worst I’ve ever spent. The score here was mainly for the leads (and George, who was awesome), as they all did very well despite the movie just not grabbing me - no pun intended.

That’s it for now. Later this week we have the emotional carnage and intellectual abducing denial that is Avengers: Infinity War, but for now I’m done.

Soopytwist.

No comments: