Saturday 9 January 2021

Discord

Finally got on Discord and joined a server today. I know everyone else has been using them for years but I’ve only just found a reason to - or thought I did.

Back in the day we had newsgroups, then chat rooms, then all that went away as social media giants like Facebook took hold. What was the point of a private chat room when people could put their opinions and dis/likes on Facebook and everyone who knew them (and then everyone that didn’t) could just jump in anyway?

Now it’s come full circle, with invitation-only chat rooms - with added voice, video and jukebox functions - making a big comeback. Share your screen to show you gaming, working, watch-alongs. Chat and video-chat. Type messages and add gifs, images and links. Whatever you want is now in your private chat room once again - and it’s only who you invite.

So today I got an invitation to one and I joined Discord just so I could get in. A 5-minute process that led me down a rabbit hole of fun, frolics and camaraderie the likes of which I haven’t experienced since the Supernatural fandom Hell Bus years, or the Farscape Wormhole Watch years.

Totally worth it. An early bleak, freezing Saturday afternoon became a laugh riot and adrenaline rush as we exchanged our best screenshots, got in our best jokes, welcomed all the fellow noobs and established personalities. A brilliant time was had by all, I think.

The only downside to this is the time zone clash, but obviously that was always going to be a problem and there’s nothing you can do about it. But it means that when I wake up at 6am because I’m bored, now I’ll have a reason to log in and see what everyone else is up to. I’m not saying I need a reason to get out of bed these days (even for work) but I pretty much need a reason to get out of bed these days.

But hey, today was a highlight and I’m so glad I accepted that invitation to the server. Sometimes exploring is more than you’d hoped for.

Soopytwist.

No comments: