Thursday 16 August 2007

Ask and ye shall be snubbed


Yes, it’s ranty-rant-rant time again. Children, cover yer ears.

Let’s get to it, shall we? A while ago I called Samsung HK and asked them politely why there was no download on their website for their version of PC Suite for Mac users. I was informed, after having to speak to three different operators, that no software existed to sync your Samsung E-908 (E-900 if yer outside Hong Kong) with your Mac. Fine, I said, then I’ll buy a brand that does let Mac users join the conversation, and put the phone down.

Since then I’ve been looking fert said brand. You may as well try to find Fox Muldar shopping in the healthy food section at Morrisons. I saw a rather nifty Nokia N73 thing, and thought it looked groovy enough to accompany me on my travels through Life. So I went to the website and read up on it fore I bothered to even look at the price. Again, no mention of a Mac version of PC Suite. I e-mail Nokia and ask them nicely – I want to buy it, want to check first, blah blah blah. And I get a rather curious reply:

Thank you for your interest in the Nokia N73 handset.
With regards to your email, we regret to inform you that we do not have a specific version of the Nokia PC Suite for MAC computer at the moment.
The current version of Nokia PC Suite supports Windows 2000 (service pack 4), Windows XP (service pack 1 / service pack 2) or Windows Vista x32 and x64 editions.
We hope the information is useful to you. Should you have further enquiries, please feel free to contact our Careline at 2136 6338.


Useful? Well, certainly. If it ever comes up in a pub quiz, of course I’ll be the first one to write down that ‘no, Nokia do not provide any support for Mac, on account of them being short-sighted, arrogant, unhelpful wastes of space, content to alienate a fifth of their customers and piss off anyone stupid enough to try and make a Nokia work with anything but a heap of obsolete, fucking pain in the arse crappy unfinished software called ‘Windows’.’ I mean, I find the information ‘the number 10 bus does not observe this bus stop on race days’ useful too, and it’s got about the same connection to my Mac and Nokia’s inability and refusal to include Mac users in their little social circle as their bastard e-mail reply.

Not a happy bunny, as you can see.

So then I need summat to cheer me up. Let’s see… let’s see… Oh! Here we are!



You!’ (points to pic on left), ‘my room, 10.30! And you!’ (points to pic on right), ‘Join us at 10.45 – and bring a friend!

Some good news though – even though the Beeb are displaying the complete series three Doctor bloody Who boxed set for released on 5th November, Amazon are offering the amazing series three with Limited Edition Lenticular Mister Saxon / Master Sleeve, exclusive to Amazon, apparently. Now me, being nosy, mailed Amazon (straight after pre-ordering it, of course) and asked why their release date says 27th November and why they have a supercool box while the boring Beeb have a, well, boring one. (Although I am rather peeved that series three only has the Master on it, not the Doctor or Martha on the back anywhere.) The reply I got was that Amazon are displaying the release date as 27th, but of course expect it in much earlier and will ship it ASAP. So no worries there then. No word on how or why they alone were allowed this cool sleeve though…

And so to more ‘Doctor bloody Who’ gossip. There were rumours that a fire had broken out in Rome, where they’d been prepping some filming for series four, but now I come to try and track down a solid link fert details, the story seems to have disappeared. Hmm. Praps it was simply mis-reported, eh?

And so to pub quizzes – yeah, we did the one in Carnegie’s the other night (and yes, that were us int corner who knew all the tie-break music answers cos they weren’t for us) and drew a lot of laffs for our team name (‘The Handmaidens of Boe’). However, the couple of hours afterwards spent drinking and talking codshit to strangers has left an indelible impression on the inside of me head, so I’ll be resting till next Sunday and Monday’s double-whammy, probably watching more ‘Torchwood’. And we’re off to see Gwen Stefani tonight, so that should keep me out of trouble fer a bit, eh.

That’s an onion, everyone. No, shallot. I have work to go to, small children to corrupt, teenagers to condescend to, you know how it is.

Soopytwist.

Tags:
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

7 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

Enjoy Gwenie - can't help thinkin' that apart from 'Watcha waitin' for?' she should have stayed with No Doubt...

Soz I haven't popped over in a while. Had a little heart attack. Your fault for not buying me a beer when you were over here....

weenie said...

I've just sorted out my free view digital box thingy and found that they are repeating the Who series, so I can try to catch all those episodes I missed...woohoo!

Anonymous said...

4D - do what??? That'll teach me not to have time to check any blogs on me own bloody list... I must think of something lovely to send your way...

Weenie - can't believe you traded girlie nights out for DW! Shame on you! At least now though you get to watch em fert first time. Ah, I remember the nights....

:)

Unknown said...

mac and phone - bang wiz straight out of the Tardis fix - u can run parallels s/w and create a virtual version of windows xp (free!) to run the pc suite of your favourite pan galactic communication device. Use Plaxo (free) to sync your mac contacts etc with those of your virtual win xp. close the vitual machine when u dont want need it. not perfect but it works

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry? Put a virtual version of Windoze on me Mac? Are you mad?
I'd rather staple my head to the table. But as I don't have any staples, I'll just go to versiontracker.com and try stuff on there. I think Fonelink works for Nokias...
(No-one seems to do Samsungs these days...)

Unknown said...

yeh shocking and no need to staple your head to the table i never thought i would say something nice about m$ but virtual xp actually works quite well. i luv my mac but outlook is to my mind better than mail and there are a couple of programs and games which i cant run on my beautiful mac.

Anonymous said...

To be honest I've not used the Mail thing on me mac since I've had it (2 yrs, I think), I just carried on using me web-baed mail - just never occurred to me to use the mail programme as came with it, LOL
And when I stop to think about it, I can usually find shit I need on versiontracker. If I can't I make do or just go without. This phone thing is just this week's Matter Of Principle - there's so actual screaming urgency cos i already mail anything I want to me phone witout trouble.

I think there will be very many lawyers in heaven (in which I don't believe anyway) before I put any microsoft shit near my mac though, LOL
Good news though - that Fonelink works a treat on Nokia N76s - which happens to be the one I'd like...

:)