Sunday 2 March 2008

More stuff wot I’ve done


I’m trying to post shorter more often. We’ll see how long it lasts.

So onto more updates as I couldn’t fit into the last essay I submitted here:

Done and dusted a new ‘Supernatural’ fan-fic, ‘Illegitimi Non Carborundum’ – this time only a 4,500 word humorous look at the trials and tribulations of exorcising demons who come knocking. Concept to polished end product in approximately five hours, fuelled by vodka and then Purple Nurples. I’m not defending it (I’m actually thinking it’s some of my best work), I’m just pointing out how yer brain does funny things, creative ability-wise, when suitably lubricated. Go on, read it and prove me wrong.

Also updated the Winchester Wallpapers, and found myself pondering, if fleetingly, why The CW doesn’t release a ‘Dean Winchester’s Book Of Contemporary Latin’ paperback, which I think would go down very well. I am slowly letting meself watch the rest of filmed season three, but am also making meself wait for it. Thinking that there may not be an end of season three has made me slow it down and enjoy each one as if it’s the last. Cos one day, it will be.

Then there was the ‘Ashes To Ashes’ episode 4 – we’re halfway through now already! Not so sure I like the conspiracy overtones here – smacks of ‘The X Files’ when it were cracking telly till the Smoking Man and wider conspiracies were seen to hove into view. Hmm. However, some fab acting and some wonderful, wonderful lines. Go Chris!

And then there were ‘Torchwood’ episodes 2.7 and 2.8 – we’re two-thirds of the way through the series already! Is it all kicking off before ‘Doctor bloody Who’ starts again in April / May? Hmm… We all know Captain Jack’s back for some of series four (probably kept for the end finale again), but then so’s Sarah Jane, Martha and Rose. Not so excited about the Rose bit… Series four trailers are looking good though, so can’t wait for that, obviously. Anyway, back to ‘Torchwood’, I’m wondering why Martha were there for just three eps and then sent back to U.N.I.T. Although she were fun to have around, and definitely different, I didn’t see the point. And the whole thing with Owen not being dead – well, alright, he’s dead but not completely, Captain Carrot of Terry Pratchett’s ‘Night Watch’ books’ stylee, and nearly turning into Mort too – it’s all pretty good sci-fi. Not sure it’s delivering on an ongoing arc level, but we’ll have to wait and see, eh.

So just to show that yeah, I am still the geek that people take me for, I’ve been looking to upgrade my phone to a PDA for a while. Well alright, not a while. But I were looking at a Motorola to replace my Samsung E-908, and then thought I may as well go for a full-on PDA, seeing as I’m finding not being able to do note-taking or e-mailing on the go a little irritating. So I’ve been in shops, playing with Blackberries and Motorola Qs, but been unimpressed with the reliance on Windows Mobile or just plain ugly GUIs. I do not want a touch-screen phone or PDA again, that’s for damn sure – ask Our Dave how many times I’ve hung up on him wi my face cos it’s wandered too near the flamin’ touch-screen button. Anyway, we go down the pub for the usual and there’s a mate of mine, playing what looks like a PSP but thinner.

Yeah, you’ve clocked it already, haven’t you? It’s not a PSP, it’s an Apple iPhone. He pauses the game to answer a call, putting them on hold (I assume) to check summat on Tinternet before confirming wi said caller and then getting back to his game. How fab is that? I were stunned at the simplicity – especially when he thrust it at me and told me to play wi it. Point, understand, do. Pretty simple, really. I’m sold. Absolutely and 100% sold. There’s just one problem wi the Apple iPhone if you live in Hong Kong – it’s not (officially) for sale over here yet. Matey bought his last time he were in New York, brought it back, went to Apple and got some updates and Chinese input downloads, and now runs it on CSL. So I guess I’ll just have to buy one next time I’m in L.A… Which is pretty soon, actually. But that’s another story…

Right, that’s yer onion, I’m off. Peach and lube, everyone. I’ll see you all again very soon.

Tags:
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

1 comment:

FOUR DINNERS said...

I think the Owen thing is working really well.

What was it again? "I can't do anything now? Sleeping, drinking and shagging were my favourite three things"

A touch of Red Dwaf in there too maybe?